Mission 3

Process


When starting this mission, I had to work with different people once again. For this mission I decided to work with Cian and Godwill, who are both in different classes to me but I know them well so when they asked me to join their group, I said I would. We formed a snapchat group chat, so we could all stay in contact with each other and through this we got together and started to talk about potential ideas for our mission. This mission had to be done in a video format, so we had to consider that when coming up with an idea. 


Both Cian and Godwill were interested in doing mapping but after we talked about all the topics, we came to the conclusion of working with the topic of Digital Journalism, as we felt it offered us a lot of choices when it came to ideas for the mission. One of the goals we set out for ourselves was to create a form of digital journalism. My idea for this was to create a football highlights video and then take the project down the line of football journalism. The lads loved this idea, as another one of our goals was then to make a comparison between modern football journalism and football journalism from the past. 

We also set the goal of learning from our classmates. We planned to use a survey system to do this, by asking them questions on football journalism and how they keep up to date with their football news.

In the end, we hoped to have a highlights video made to represent what we consider a form of modern football journalism, to have a survey done to show how our classmates respond to questions on football journalism and to have a presentation showing our research into the topic of football journalism and how it has changed over the years.


To complete this task, we will have to use google and websites on google to get all the research for our presentation. We would also use google slides to create our overall presentation. We would use screen record on a laptop to record the slides for the final video. Apple memos would be used to record us talking through each slide. Youtube would most likely be where we would get any clips or music for our final video and then finally we would use Adobe premier pro to do all the editing for the final video. 

To complete this mission, most of our content would be sourced directly from online, such as music, video clips and pictures. We would also have to use a survey system to create and post our survey. Most likely, survey monkey would be used as it is the easiest for use to post out to get results from class mates. In the end, through this project we want to showcase how much football journalism has changed over a short period of time.

Product

To create this project we first gathered together to talk about where we were going to go with the direction of the mission. We had decided on the mission of digital journalism after debating over picking mapping or digital journalism, but in the end digital journalism was the favourite. First think we did was gather clips and music for the creation of our highlights video. I worked on creating the video, while Cian gathered any of the necessary clips and music. While me and Cian were working on this, Godwill was working on our slides presentation. He was gathering any useful information about football journalism from the past and how it has changed.

To edit the video, Cian would download the clips from YouTube and then send them to me through email. Once received, I would download them, add them to premier pro and then cut up any of the highlights we going to use. Once all the clips were gathered, I did some simple editing, such as adding text, having fade ins and fade outs and then put some music in the background to liven up the overall video. The editing was easy for the video but the problem came when exporting. Once the video was done, for some reason everything came out blurry, no matter what we did. We asked around but no one could help us with our problem, so we had to live with a blurry video.


We also did a survey to get information on what people in our college think about football journalism, such as, do they think it has changed for the better and how do they think it has changed. Cian created the survey and we all thought up the questions to ask. Once done, we posted the survey to our group chats and waited for responses. These responses were then recored and ready for use in our presentation.

To create the presentation, we used google slides. We gathered any information used, online and then added it to the slides. We uploaded our highlights video to YouTube and then embedded the video in our slides for easy access. We also took screen shots of the results from our survey and added them to our presentation. When doing the presentation, what we did was find a quiet room, had a laptop out with screen record ready and then opened up our slides. I then took out my phone and recored and had memos ready to record us talk through our slides. We practiced running through the slides so we would hit the five minute mark and once we were confident, we were then ready.


Cian pressed screen record at the same time I pressed record on memos and we talked through our slides. This made it easy when creating the final video. Once this was done, I added the screen record and audio file, to premier pro and then added some light music for the background. Once some small editing was done, the video was then exported and sent to Shaun as our final video.

When are video was played in the class on the day of presentation, I was happy with how it turned out. It clearly could have used some more work, but after all the hidden hassles of creating the video, I was happy I even got something done.



Reflection


After completing this mission, one thing I learned is that I work very well under pressure. When completing this project, me and my group were under a lot of time pressure to get finished because as a group we formed very late. As well as our group forming very late, we also had a lot of problems with premier pro and exporting our video. Due to these problems, I was afraid we wouldn't even get a video done, but in the end I feel like I found out I work very well under a lot of pressure and I managed to finally get the final video done and exported. 


What I discovered about the mission is that there is so many ways of tackling the mission of Digital Journalism. Just from watching the presentation of everyones videos, I leathered so much about how we could have tackled the mission itself. Another thing I learned is based on the topic that we tackled, Football Journalism. I learned so much about how it has changed over the years. I never realised how differentially people looked at football back in the day compared to now and most of that is down to the effects of changing football journalism. 

Another thing that I discovered when working on this mission is how difficult it can be to do editing on premier pro. I've edited before on premier pro but I have never did any fancy editing before.
Being quite naive, I never expected it to be quite as difficult as I found it. At times doing the project, I would have loved to add more effects but just wasn't able to. 


In the end, I think the presentation itself was an overall success. Yes, I would say it wasn't the fanciest presentation on the day, but it did have everything that was needed for the mission. We asked a question and then answered the question, through research and work. So I would say that our presentation was a success for us. Being honest, we did have our fair share of failures throughout the mission. One of these was the highlights video. For some reason the video came out blurry throughout and was pretty much unusable but instead we just took screen shots of the videos editing stage, to show we did the work, but in the end, the fact we didn't have enough time to show off the video we worked on, was an overall failure.

Another failure of our mission was the exporting off the final video. This caused the group a lot of stress as it got to the point where we had the video done but wasn't able to export it. It got to the point where we felt we wouldn't have anything done, but I decided to come in the next day, re-edit the video and try export it one more time. Thankfully this time, it worked and we got our video uploaded. 



I have to say that I'm proud of the presentation we put together, considering everything we went through to get it done. I'm also proud of how the lad's worked to get the work done. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission 2

Mission 1